VERY IMPORTANT FOR ALL ILLINOIS WORKERS!!!!!!!
ILLINOIS WORKERS' COMP UPDATE CONCERNING CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
Effective April 13, 2020, Illinois changed the law to protect our first responders, healthcare workers and other front line employees that are saving lives, giving aid and keep our families and businesses in supply of their essential needs.
If you work in one of the following occupations and contract COVID-19, it will be presumed it was caused by your employment and you will be entitled to the benefits afforded to injured employees under the Illinois Workers' Compensation Act.
The occupations are as follows:
2) Fire personnel;
3) Emergency medical technicians and paramedics;
4) All individuals employed and considered as first responders;
5) Health care providers engaged in patient care;
6) Correction officers;
7) Employees of stores that sell groceries and medicine;
8) Employess of food, beverage, and cannabis production and agriculture;
9) Employees of organizations that provide charitable and social services;
10) Employees of gas stations and businesses needed for transportation;
11) Employees of financial institutions;
12) Employees of hardware and supplies stores;
13) Employees of “Critical trades” (This includes Building and Construction Tradesmen and Tradeswomen);
14) Employees of mail, post, shipping, logistics, delivery, and pick-up services;
15) Employees of educational institutions;
16) Employees of laundry services;
17) Employees of restaurants for food consumption off-premises;
18) Employees of businesses that manufacture, sell or supply products needed to work from home;
19) Employees of business the manufacture, sell or supply products for Essential Businesses and Operations;
19) Employees of in the transportation industry;
20) Employees providing home-based care and services;
21) Employees of residential facilities and shelters;
22) Employees in the professional services industry (includes legal, accounting, insurance and real estate);
23) Employees of day care centers that are still allowed to operate under the March 20, 2020 Executive Order;
24) Employees that work in the manufacturing, distribution, and supply chain of critical products and industries (This includes many industries, including pharmaceutical, technology, biotechnology, healthcare, chemical and sanitization, waste pickup and disposal, agriculture and many more);
25) Employees of critical labor union functions
26) Employees of hotels and motels;and
27) Employees of funeral related services.
As one can see above, this is a very broad list, and may very likely include your employment position if you continue to work through this pandemic.
We encourage anyone that has a question to contact Hassakis & Hassakis, P.C. at (618) 244-5335 as you may be entitled to have your medical expenses paid, income while you are out of work due to illness/quarantine and benefits for permanent injury and/or death.
We lastly want to thank all of Illinois' essential employees who are all quite literally risking their life for the benefit of others. We have tremendous respect and the highest amount gratitude for your service.